Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November 3: Kitty Cat Hat - COMPLETED

Pattern # 307:  Kitty Cat Hat

This is the perfect Halloween costume for those who do not really want to dress up! haha  This would also be a great gift for any young girls in your life.  How cute would it be with some dangly strings to tie it together?  Very cute! haha

------

9/1/2011:  What the heck did I mean by dangly strings to tie it together??  I think I was on crack when I first wrote this post.  Maybe I meant a tail?  Or whiskers?  Weird!

-----

Updated 2/1/2011
I actually did my own pattern, for the most part, for this beanie.  However, I did use her pattern for the ears!  I wanted to do a dc instead of hdc as she recommended.  I used a K hook and Lion Brand Jiffy yarn.  This was supposed to be a "Hello Kitty" beanie for a 5 year old's birthday.  So excited with the final product!


More pictures to come with the birthday girl who LOVED her hat!!

5 comments:

  1. This hat is great Megan. Last winter I spotted a very tall University student dressed in a long black coat and she was wearing a black cat hat with ears like this. She looked stunning and everyone was smiling at her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you did yours differently AND it was for a 5 year old - which is how old my daughter is. Assuming that most five year olds have similar-sized heads, can you tell me more about how you made it? Only if it's simple to explain. If not, I'll just find a pattern for a basic beanie and add some ears. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - I will email you with the changes, but basically I did dc instead of hdc & used a larger hook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i understand this correctly, you used the same pattern for the hat as you did for the ears, only doing dc instead of hdc? It would be great if you could clarify for me because this is the perfect pattern for a gift for my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy. Actually I did it differently, because I do not like the way her hat ruffled at the top. I think this is how I did it...

    R1: Magic Circle 12
    R2: 2dc in each dc (24 dc total)
    R3: *dc in dc, 2dc in next dc* Repeat around (36 total)
    R4: *dc in next 2 dc, 2dc in next dc* Repeat around (48 total)
    R5: *dc in next 6 dc, 2dc in next dc, dc in next 7 dc, 2dc in next dc* Repeat around (54 total)
    I did a few rows til it was almost as long as I wanted, then the ribbing row. Which I did as one row of bptc and fptc (instead of bpdc & fpdc as she says) and then a next row of bpdc & fpdc. I needed to finish fast & that made it go faster for me!

    For the ears, I used her ear front pattern, rows 1 -4, skipping the last row with dec. I hot glued felt in it, instead of crocheting 2 ear pieces. The bow is also hot glued on. I followed this tutorial for the bow:
    http://ohsohappytogether.blogspot.com/2010/08/crocheted-hair-bows-tutorial.html
    Except I just wound yarn around the middle instead of crocheting a middle piece.

    Let me know if you need more clarification!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy! Thanks for leaving a word to let me know you are reading! :)