Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ladybug Hat Pattern

Today I start something new... posting my own patterns!



As you remember, back on March 11, I made a ladybug beanie. I was trying to follow a pattern, but just could not handle it. Something in the way it was written just did not work with my brain. Then I remembered that I have crocheted so many beanies that I do not really need a pattern. I did write it down, so you can use it if you want! This is my first pattern to be posted here. If you try it out, please let me know how it works for you and if it needs any changes! I used cheapo Lion Brand yarn from Big Lots (anyone know what I'm talking about). So it is pretty thin, probably a 3. If you want to sell a finished project from this pattern, please contact me (email in my complete profile).


Abbr:
ss: slip stitch
dc: double crochet
Notes:Unless otherwise noted, join each row with a ss at the end.

Supplies
Hook Size - J
Yarn Needle
Yarn - Red and Black Worsted Weight (less than 1 skein each)

With Black:
R1: 12 dc in magic circle [Check out this tutorial if you don't know what I mean]
R2: ch2, 2dc in each dc (24 dc)
R3: ch2, *1 dc, 2dc in each dc* [rep 12 times] (36 dc)
R4: ch2, *2 dc, 2dc in each dc* [rep 12 times] (48 dc)
Switch to Red:
R5 - R12 : ch2, dc in each dc (48 dc)
R13: ch1, *sk1, 4dc, sk1, ss* [rep from * to * til end], ss into first ch. Fasten Off. (this makes the ripple on the bottom)

Spots:
With Black. 10 dc in magic circle. slip stitch together and fasten off. Leave a tail long enough to sew the circles onto the hat. Make as many as you want, I made 6.

Completion:
I used the black yarn and an embroidery chain stitch to make the straight line down the front of the hat (red part only). Then I sewed (using the tails as thread) the spots onto the red part of the hat. You can look at my picture for reference. For antennae, I chained 8, then slip stitched into the top of the hat (again, see picture for reference point) and then single stitched up the chain until I reached the end. Tie off. Do this again, so you have 2 antennae.


This is what happens when your model does not want to wear the hat anymore! If you remember from the original post. The upper picture is a 1 year old in the hat, the lower picture a 3 month old.




All of the images of the hat being worn are from Fortuna Photography. They are fabulous.

37 comments:

  1. Precious hat! I will have to find a little girl to make one for!

    Yes, I'm on Ravelry. I'm under SavvyStitcher09. I added you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of a novice, but I have made two hats for my daughter before, but they never fit quite right. She is 3 1/2...any tips about how to make the hat larger. She's got about 21"-22" head circumference. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey - Hi! There are 2 ways to make the hat larger. Either increase the amount of stitches or increase your hook size. I am guessing that I used a size J hook. I can't believe I didn't write it on here. I'm going to try and find my notes in a minute. Anywho, I crochet pretty tight. Try making it with a J hook. If that's too big, then go down to an I. If it's too small, then go to a K. You will know by the time you are halfway through if it is the right size. Please let me know if you need any more help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for responding! I didnt read it before I started with an H hook lol. So would I just do rounds 3&4 twice maybe in red?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey. I would do it a little differently.
    R5: ch2, *3 dc, 2dc in each dc* [rep 12 times] (60 dc)

    If you need to go even bigger. Then do a R6 with 4 dc and then 2dc. You can do it in either black or red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To begin the hat it says crochet in a magic circle. Are you supposed to chain a foundation ring first? I am still technically a beginner so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok sorry I googled crocheting in magic circles and I found instructions on how to do it. Thanks. I had never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry! Just saw your question! Glad you figured it out! I love that starter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am a beginner and have a question if you please.... the edging. Where it says *sk1, 4dc, sk1, ss*... are the 4DC in the same ch space or in 4 individual sts?

    Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished making this for a newborn and I love it! Thanks so much Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fiona - no problem. The 4 dc are in one stich. That's what gives it the bubbly look.

    Anon - so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Megan - this hat is adorable! I just finished it for a friend's daughter who just turned one and is nicknamed LadyBug. The instructions were great - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your reply Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad the pattern is working out for all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Megan. Ok I don't know if it is just me, but I am a little fuzzy on how exactly row 3 and 4 are done. The *1 dc, 2 dc in each dc* is that basically 3 dc in one dc crochet or do you do 1 dc in a dc and then 2 dc in the next dc. I did the latter and it worked out to 36 dc but then when you go to round 4 and I did 2 dc on a dc and then another 2 dc in the next dc, it comes out to 72 dc and not 48. So therefore even when I use a smaller hook it makes the hat bigger that it should be. I guess I just need clarification cause I am not sure I am doing it right. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carissa - You are correct on round 3. For round 4, do 1 dc in a dc, 1 dc in a dc, then 2dc in one dc. Let me know if that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This has got to be the cutest hat for a little girl! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How big a head does this pattern fit? I have a soon-to-be-4 niece this would be slammin' for!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the hat pattern... Im a photographer and love finding new hat patterns to make for my baby subjects. :) PS: Im a guy but love crocheting... while I watch football mind you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad you all like it! And Martin, sorry, just saw your comment. You can make it larger to fit a 4 year old. Just add a few more increase rows!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello. I found this a while back and immediately thought of my friends little girl. She is 3 and loves ladybugs. I altered your pattern a little bit (antena, edging and spot sizes) but it looks great!!! Thank you so much. I can't wait to give it to her and her parents!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it and that it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am having a new grandaughter in Aug. I have made her a lady bug sweater, pants, booties and
    a hat. I love your hat. It is more girlie then the one I have made. I am going to try yours out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you tell me what kind of yarn to buy and how much of each colour? Thank you!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Malea! You can just buy any worsted weight yarn (like Red Heart Super Saver) and it is less than 1 skein of each. Hope that helps! Go ahead and email me if you have any other questions!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the great pattern. Just curious, what size hook did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Danielle, I would suggest using a J hook!

    ReplyDelete
  28. R3: ch2, *1 dc, 2dc in each dc* [rep 12 times] (36 dc)

    Do I do. 1dc in one dc then 2dc in the nxt dc and then one in the next and two in the next... Or do I do one school then do 2dc in each stitch all the way around??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one you said was correct. "1dc in one dc then 2dc in the nxt dc and then one in the next and two in the next..." Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  29. It looks like someone is selling your pattern on etsy :( http://www.etsy.com/listing/161628285/pattern-crochet-ladybug-hat-child?ref=cat_gallery_9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up. I checked and it isn't there anymore. Hopefully they stopped selling t!

      Delete
  30. It looks like someone took advantage of your generosity and is selling your pattern on etsy :(

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/161628285/pattern-crochet-ladybug-hat-child?ref=cat_gallery_9

    ReplyDelete
  31. for round 4 is it supposed to be 2dc, 1dc, repeat to make 48 dc. or 2 dc ineach stitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Dc, Dc, 2Dc, so you are still increasing, but not as much as before. Make sense?

      Delete

Comments make me happy! Thanks for leaving a word to let me know you are reading! :)